.. and now for the title of my blog ! I do have more serious problems in my life and that's probably why I quite enjoyed my difficulty getting to sleep last night thinking about the proper title for my first blog. Blogger hasn't asked me for a biography so I won't at this stage bother you with one. Suffice it to say that yesterdays' events led me to the name though my particular idiosyncracies interpret events inevitably very differently to someone else with a different background.
Before I relate yesterday's 'uneventful' events , I should apologize to my fellow compatriots who may take issue with the word 'Grekko' which can be derogatory to more 'conservative 'Hellenes' though I use it rather freely to reflect just that , the perhaps hedonistic way I see Greece and have enjoyed it for so many years. By the way , my ensuing posts will be more to do with food , sailing , summer with ouzo and oktapodaki so should be more light-hearted ?
'Chesoui' is a result of spending too much time on twitter with 'jesuis' resounding on Gringlish habits.
Again apologies to many friends who I know speak French without the 'Greko-marseillaise' accent.
Yesterday could have been disastrous . For some it was but I'll selfishly relate my own concerns.
We woke up to a force 10/11 southerly wind with Athens covered by one of those very grey dust-clouds from Africa and my mates on Skai breakfast worrying about how our new Finance Minister would save face after the embarrassing confrontation with his Dutch counterpart. I have never voted as I've never been obliged to vote so politics is the last thing I want to include in my posts but a few words are appropriate.
I find it wholly unjustifiable that anyone especially eighteen year-olds and especially Greek ones be forced in to the ballot box.Without life's harsh experiences and merely the influence of home and education , they must be the least representative of balanced society. Yet we listen to some of these admittedly now somewhat older youngsters expressing views on the crisis in Greece and blaming our European counterparts for austerity and the damage it has done . Our present 'rebellion' is fuelled by
the freedom that Greece now provides. Why should our youngsters host grey nerdy officials from the Northern EU who are only 'employees' when we have behind us the history of democracy . Our ministers may have benefited from postgraduate education abroad but back here they assume an
Hellenic supremacy that may now even guide the rest of Europe.
The crisis has its advantages for us foodies. Whilst the quality of Greek food was mediocre , it is now generally disastrous but much much cheaper.
So after a bad cheap meal yesterday we returned to listen to my mates on Skai . Within a day , our new Finance Minister has been able to wriggle out of general disdain following his remarks about a 'rotten' Troika and Lazards , for a sum , France for free are offering Greece a whole new drawing board for renegotiation of our massive debt.
Which brings me to Robin Williams alas now dead can't read my post ! Do away with ties ,
stand high young Greeks and worry not .. tomorrow is another day ...
Before I relate yesterday's 'uneventful' events , I should apologize to my fellow compatriots who may take issue with the word 'Grekko' which can be derogatory to more 'conservative 'Hellenes' though I use it rather freely to reflect just that , the perhaps hedonistic way I see Greece and have enjoyed it for so many years. By the way , my ensuing posts will be more to do with food , sailing , summer with ouzo and oktapodaki so should be more light-hearted ?
'Chesoui' is a result of spending too much time on twitter with 'jesuis' resounding on Gringlish habits.
Again apologies to many friends who I know speak French without the 'Greko-marseillaise' accent.
Yesterday could have been disastrous . For some it was but I'll selfishly relate my own concerns.
We woke up to a force 10/11 southerly wind with Athens covered by one of those very grey dust-clouds from Africa and my mates on Skai breakfast worrying about how our new Finance Minister would save face after the embarrassing confrontation with his Dutch counterpart. I have never voted as I've never been obliged to vote so politics is the last thing I want to include in my posts but a few words are appropriate.
I find it wholly unjustifiable that anyone especially eighteen year-olds and especially Greek ones be forced in to the ballot box.Without life's harsh experiences and merely the influence of home and education , they must be the least representative of balanced society. Yet we listen to some of these admittedly now somewhat older youngsters expressing views on the crisis in Greece and blaming our European counterparts for austerity and the damage it has done . Our present 'rebellion' is fuelled by
the freedom that Greece now provides. Why should our youngsters host grey nerdy officials from the Northern EU who are only 'employees' when we have behind us the history of democracy . Our ministers may have benefited from postgraduate education abroad but back here they assume an
Hellenic supremacy that may now even guide the rest of Europe.
The crisis has its advantages for us foodies. Whilst the quality of Greek food was mediocre , it is now generally disastrous but much much cheaper.
So after a bad cheap meal yesterday we returned to listen to my mates on Skai . Within a day , our new Finance Minister has been able to wriggle out of general disdain following his remarks about a 'rotten' Troika and Lazards , for a sum , France for free are offering Greece a whole new drawing board for renegotiation of our massive debt.
Which brings me to Robin Williams alas now dead can't read my post ! Do away with ties ,
stand high young Greeks and worry not .. tomorrow is another day ...
Well done!! Looking forward to ore!!
ReplyDeleteSorry - More!!
ReplyDelete